Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ready to Run?

I read a quote that I’ve read many times before “success is not an accident” and for whatever reason it has resonated with me all week. True success is hard work! It’s not for the faint of heart. I’m talking about success that has been coupled with endurance and the desire to see fulfillment of one’s goal or dream.
I remember sitting in a strategy meeting in my zealous 20’s when I heard our leader say “Begin with the end in mind”. I remember grabbing hold of that and every time I set out to do something for God I would step back and say to myself “how do I want to see this end?” or "How's God showing me this is suppose to end?"and I for life of me never remember my response sounding anything like failure but believe me my past has involved some failure! More recently than I’m comfortable with in fact! I could definitely begin with the end in mind but staying focused on that goal and being disciplined to run hard after it was sometimes lacking. If I may humbly add to that wonderful quote “Begin with the end in mind and then don’t forget it at any point”.

I’m a visionary and a dreamer. I have so much longing that I can feel as if I could literally explode! That’s why it’s 2 am and I’m up with a heart that is pounding right out of my chest typing as if I’m pressing a pressure valve to get some relief! Lol! Some of you know exactly what I mean and then there are those like my husband that at 2am if I proclaimed “Reagan an angel of God came from a burning bush in the corner of the bedroom, come see!” he’d rollover and say that’s nice, remembering nothing in the morning! Whatever way you were wired internally we are all created to succeed and thrive. God gives us His word to instruct us and inspire us. When Reagan and I are discussing something he often reminds me that the answers are simple but walking (or running) it out can be the issue and he’s right.


Thrive: to grow vigorously

A girlfriend of mine is a sports psychologist and she is now working with soldiers going through boot camp and she said that she reminds them constantly that in spite of the agony involved with basic training they can use the time to thrive and not just survive. I love that! I say that as someone who is told often to suck it up (but in a more loving and tender way:-) by my husband. Life is hard and often unfair. Justice is not always reigning in all the situations of life as far as we can see but we must be fixed with the end in mind.

In the end comes the reward! All week I’ve gotten to watch as my children and many others received their end of the year awards from school. I have to admit that I have cried myself some tears as I watch not only mine but the children of others go to receive their rewards. There were times I caught myself smiling so big I figured I needed to dial it back a bit so I didn’t frighten anyone ;-) I love rewards! I love prizes! I love recognition of those who have worked hard! However there’s something deflating when we know that for whatever reason we ran out of steam and/or got distracted and that dream or goal was unrealized. I have had so many failures if there were boxes to hold them and I needed shelves to store them I’d hire my husband to build me another home to house them! However I’m not stuck on them and wallowing does nothing good for anyone but I refuse to sit by while there are greater things to pray and do for God concerning this world.

I was attending a field day and one of the races required a child to tag their teammate in so that teammate would then engage that part of the event. For some of us it’s time to be tagged in! It’s time to run hard! It’s time to engage! I want to say to you don’t look behind but ahead. You can do it! I love the scripture that says “God isn’t man that He should lie”. He’s incapable of it. What God is drawing you to do…. What He’s calling you to do…. It may require some trust on your part but He’s trustworthy! He will be running right alongside you. He’s going to provide for your journey and He’s going to understand when it’s getting rough. A life running with Him is the best adventure in my life to this date. Note: I didn’t say it’s easy but I’ve never truly known any life, Christian or not, to be easy but I’ve seen the hope of God carry some of us over the finish line! Come on and let’s thrive together!

Tag your it!

No comments:

Post a Comment